Makar Sankranti is only a week away, on January 14. In most states of India, Makar Sankranti is synonymous with the harvest competition – a time for rejoicing and welcoming the spring season. Makar Sankranti marks the start of a six-month auspicious interval referred to as Uttarayana, when the Solar travels to the northern hemisphere, in keeping with the Hindu calendar. States throughout India, have a good time Makar Sankranti in distinctive methods. That is the time for household get-togethers, celebrating round bonfires and flying kites. The primary rituals embody Ganga snan or taking a holy dip within the Ganga, Anna daan or charity and making particular Makar Sankranti delicacies line Dahi Chuda, Khichri and sweets product of til or sesame and jaggery.
Makar Sankranti 2021 celebrations: 10 key issues to know in regards to the competition
- Makar Sankranti is a celebration of a bumper harvest – the winter rabi crop
- On Makar Sankranti, the Surya devta or the Solar God is worshipped as a mark of gratitude for blessing the farmers with a superb crop
- It marks the Solar’s transit into Makara or Capricorn, which suggests the top of the winter solstice and the beginning of longer days
- In Gujarat and Rajasthan Makar Sankranti is called Uttarayana, in Haryana and Punjab Makar Sankranti is called Maghi
- In Kerala, the competition is called Makaravilakku, when the divine gentle is seen on the Sabarimala hills and 1000’s of tourists come to witness the sunshine
- In Tamil Nadu, Pongal, the most important competition of the state is widely known on Makar Sankranti
- In West Bengal and the jap states, Poush Sankranti is widely known on the identical day and Goddess Lakshmi is worshipped
- In lots of states, folks fly colourful kites along with associates and it’s a large a part of the Makar Sankranti celebrations. Folks additionally fly sky lanterns within the night
- On Makar Sankranti, folks each within the countryside and in cities clear their homes, embellish the doorway with flowers and mango leaves and draw lovely rangolis
- Makar Sankranti delicacies are distinctive in each state. Sweets product of til or peanuts and jaggery and numerous sorts of gajaks are very fashionable. Kheer and khichri of assorted sorts are additionally made.